Monday 18 July 2022

Ghadeer khum, Imam Ali (AS) Appointed?(sunni ref)


What happen at Ghadeer khum?
How do we know ahlubayt AS didn't mean wives included?
How do we know imam Ali AS was appointed?


The event is mutawatar meaning it is so widely narrated that there is no doubt about this event amongst all Muslims. 

Sunan al-Nasa'i, one of the six sahih (authentic) books of Sunnis:

کأنی قد دعیت فاجبت، انی قد ترکت فیکم الثقلین احدهما اکبر من الآخر، کتاب الله و عترتی اهل بیتی، فانظروا کیف تخلفونی فیهما، فانهما لن یفترقا حتی یردا علی الحوض

"Looks like I have been called, and I answered (my time of death has come), indeed I have left the thaqalayn (two weighty things) among you, one of them is greater form the other, the book of Allah and my 'itra (family), my ahl al-bayt (household). So look after how you will behave with them after me, indeed they will never separate from each other until they enter my presence by the pool [in the paradise]."



How do we know ahlubayt AS didn't mean his actual house hold, including his wives?

Narrated Aisha:

One day the Prophet (PBUH&HF) came out afternoon wearing a black cloak (upper garment or gown; long coat), then al-Hasan Ibn Ali came and the Prophet accommodated him under the cloak, then al-Husain came and entered the cloak, then Fatimah came and the Prophet entered her under the cloak, then Ali came and the Prophet entered him to the cloak as well. Then the Prophet recited: "Verily Allah intends to keep off from you every kind of uncleanness O' People of the House (Ahlul-Bayt), and purify you a perfect purification (the last sentence of Verse 33:33)."

Sunni reference:

Sahih Muslim, Chapter of virtues of companions, section of the virtues of the Ahlul-Bayt of the Prophet (PBUH&HF), 1980 Edition Pub. in Saudi Arabia, Arabic version, v4, p1883, Tradition #61.

Umm Salama said: "O Prophet of Allah! Am I not one of the members of your family?" The Holy Prophet replied: "You have a good future but only these are the members of my family (ahlubayt). O Lord! The members of my family are more deserving."

Sunni reference: al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v2, p416

How do we know Imam Ali AS was appointed?

Ahmad ibn Hanbal's eponymous musnad also includes that, after Muhammad's sermon, his companion Umar congratulated Ali and told him, "You have now become mawla of every faithful man and woman."



I need more how do we know for sure?

This ayat was revealed on this day, the day known as ghadeer khum (due to its location). Think why would such an ayat be revealed....

This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed my favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion. (Qur'an, 5:3)
After this verse was revealed the Holy Prophet (s) said: Allah Akbar at the perfection of religion and completion of favors and the pleasure of the Lord at my Prophethood and the Wilayah of Ali after me. Then he said the famous statement: Of whosoever I am the Master Ali is also his Master.

"He whose mawla I am, Ali is his mawla."
Muhammad might have repeated this sentence three or four more times, as reported in Musnad Ibn Hanbal.


Now one needs to sit back with objective view and think, if God would not leave a nation without a guide, so that no nation could blame Allah swt that they were not guided by someone, why would He swt do that after the prophet?


Imam Ahmad in his Musnad and Al-Hakim in his Al- Mustadrak recorded that Ibn Abbas said in a hadith the following: "The Messenger and the people departed for military operations in Tabook. ‘Ali said to him: I will depart with you. The Prdphet said to him: No. ‘Ali became sad. The Messenger said to him: Are you not satisfied to be to me like Aaron to Moses except that you are not a prophet? It would not be proper that I leave unless you are my successor."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghadeer khum, Imam Ali (AS) Appointed?(sunni ref)

What happen at Ghadeer khum? How do we know ahlubayt AS didn't mean wives included? How do we know imam Ali AS was appointed? The event ...