Monday 7 May 2018

My Childhood Life of Seclusion

Salaam alaykom dear readers!
I thought I'd share my life in seclusion as a child. I grew up until I was 18 in a very rural area 3 hours from a city. Our population was maybe somewhere around 100 and majority of that was elders. I grew up as a Christian but we where not very strict. I lived on a farm in which my parents raised cattle, however I remember milking cows and having chickens roaming around. We ate a lot of what we raised on the farm or grew in the garden, not taking many trips into the city.
It wasn't until reflecting on my child hood I realised I had this fake image that everyone was Christian. I really never thought about any other religion and in fact I never really met anyone that wasn't  a Christian. I think the first person I knew that wasn't a Christian was a Muslim man who I use to work for when I was 18 and had moved to the city. Even then I really just thought he was an immigrant and not focused on a religious difference, however I wonder if this was because he acted just like and men from the west... Anyways I remember I was in grade 8 and was confirmed as a Lutheran but just prior to confirmation  I approached my pastor and privately asked her if I could be confirmed if I didn't really believe in the  crucifixion because I wasn't able to wrap my mind around God putting His only son to die for us... God is almighty and I wasn't able to believe He had to do such a thing to forgive us all!
I wonder if this played a huge role in me thinking I could do or be anything I wanted and I was still a Christian and would be saved. Maybe this fake idea was what took me down a bad path that soon there followed. It wasn't long after this that I went into grade 9 and soon there after my life changed dramatically.
I will save that part of my life for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghadeer khum, Imam Ali (AS) Appointed?(sunni ref)

What happen at Ghadeer khum? How do we know ahlubayt AS didn't mean wives included? How do we know imam Ali AS was appointed? The event ...